Do you have a question about JRI services?
What is a Donor‐Advised Fund (DAF)?
A donor‐advised fund (DAF) provides donors with a centralized charitable account. It allows inclined individuals, families and businesses to make an irrevocable gift to a public charity that sponsors a DAF and take an immediate tax deduction. Most DAFs accept cash equivalents, securities, and other assets.
How does a Donor- Advised Fund work?
Donors make an irrevocable, tax‐deductible contribution of cash, long‐term appreciated securities or other assets to a charity that sponsors a DAF program, which then establishes an account in the donor’s name. DAF donors may choose from a variety of investment options and proceeds are put into an account from which donors may make grant recommendations.
Why do donors choose to have a Donor‐Advised Fund?
Donor Advised Funds offer donors a way to plan, manage and potentially grow their charitable giving. See below for others:
- Simplicity – The DAF sponsor handles all record‐keeping, disbursements, and tax receipts.
- Flexibility– Timing of your tax deduction can be separate from your charitable decision making.
- Tax‐efficiency– Contributions are immediately tax‐deductible and any investment growth in the DAF is tax‐free. It is also easy to donate long term appreciated securities, eliminating capital gains taxes and allowing you to support multiple charities from one block of stock.
- Family legacy– A DAF is a powerful way to build or continue a tradition of family philanthropy.
- No start‐up costs– There is no cost to establish a donor‐advised fund. However, there are often minimum initial charitable contributions to establish the DAF (typically $5,000 or more).
- No transaction fees– Once approved, 100% of your recommended grant goes to your qualified public charity of choice.
- Privacy if desired– Donors may choose to remain anonymous to the grant recipient.
Who should I contact if I have any questions about giving to JRI through a Donor-Advised Fund?
You can contact Bisser Dokov, Chief Financial Officer at email@example.com or (781) 559-4900.