Do you have a question about how JRI services, related to COVID-19 or otherwise?
Our foster care program is rooted in the principle that every child deserves to feel safe, to be nurtured, and to thrive. Our foster families and staff are committed to maximizing each child's potential within our stable and loving foster homes.
Looking for tips, support articles and additional information for foster parents? Check out our Foster Care blog.
Interested in becoming a foster parent? Complete the foster care inquiry form and one of our Homefinders will reach out to you.
Are you looking for other ways to help youth in foster care? Consider a donation.
Berkley, MA 02779
Jamaica Plain, MA 02130-2691
When you become a foster parent at JRI, you will receive:
- Access to 24/7 personalized on-call support
- MAPP training as well as training in ARC Reflections, which is a caregiver model for working with children who have experienced trauma
- Ongoing monthly trainings
- Monthly support groups with other families
- Generous monthly stipend
- Weekly home visits
- Consultation with mental health and educational experts such as educational consultation and psychological consultation
- Quarterly family-fun events, such as movie night, Canobie Lake Park and the zoo, where the whole family is invited, including biological children
- Quarterly Foster Care Advisory Group
- Access to our Back to School Supply Drive and Holiday Gift Drive
- 5 paid vacation days per year
- Access to dedicated respite parents
- $500.00 sign-on bonus
- $700.00 referral bonus
When children and teens come to us, we carefully match their needs with a foster family who has knowledge of and experience with those particular needs. In these safe and stable homes, healthy connections are formed. Children overcome their hardships, regain their confidence, and learn new life skills. We work together to help our children once again believe in themselves and in their futures.
- Fill out our foster care inquiry form online or by telephone: (508) 821-7774.
- Have a conversation with one of our Home Finders to see if you meet the basic eligibility requirements to become a foster parent.
- Fill out the foster care application and CORI background check forms. These documents can all be completed online!
- A Home Finder will schedule a time to come out and ensure that your home meets all physical & safety standards.
- Complete and submit necessary paperwork. This can all be done online!
- Attend MAPP training at our office. MAPP is a 30-hour course that provides participates with a foundational knowledge of providing foster care in Massachusetts. Our course is held on the weekends.
- One of our Home Finders will complete a homestudy on your home. The Home Finder will interview all household members during this process.
- Once your homestudy is approved you will become a licensed foster parent!
At JRI's Foster Care Program, we are committed to ensuring that the unique gifts, talents, interests. and goals of our children are respected, supported, and nurtured. At the same time, we work to meet their physical and emotional needs. Sometimes stressors within their own family such as neglect, domestic violence, abuse, or untreated mental illness may cause a child or teen to enter foster care. The children come to us feeling scared, sad, and confused. Our qualified and caring team of foster parents and staff help them feel safe and understood. We support the children through their grief and pain, and we guide them toward healing and hope.
Deciding to open your home to a foster child is a major life decision. Your whole world changes when you foster. While it isn't a bad thing, it also isn't an easy thing. People in your world will be impacted by your decision so it's important to talk with those closest to you to consider what fostering will mean.